Cozy up next to the fire with a slice of this moist and delicious homemade einkorn banana bread. Perfect for an easy breakfast or as a wonderful holiday gift for neighbors and friends.
With the weather cooling down here in Texas, there is nothing better than lighting a fire and filling our home with the scent of fresh baked goods.
An absolute must around here is to whip up some mouth-watering banana bread with cozy notes of cinnamon. There is something about cinnamon that is the key to a heavenly scent coming from the oven.
During the hot summer months, bananas tend to get used up in refreshing smoothies, but in the cooler months, we love using them to bake some warm banana bread.
This homemade banana bread is quick to throw together and the best way to use up those over-ripe bananas sitting on the counter.
Serve up a slice with some eggs and fruit for an easy breakfast or simply by itself for a yummy afternoon snack!
Homemade Einkorn Banana Bread
It all started with a monkey bread recipe my mom used to make when I was growing up.
After making the switch to using einkorn flour for our son, I decided to make some changes to create my own recipe. My focus was on creating a banana bread with a beautiful rise while reducing the overall amount of sugar.
This recipe uses einkorn all-purpose flour, but can easily be substituted to use regular all-purpose flour as well.
Einkorn flour is known as nature’s original wheat and has never been hybridized. It is easier to digest than modern-day wheat and is a great option for those with gluten sensitivities.
Introduce einkorn to friends and neighbors with a loaf of homemade einkorn banana bread at the holidays!
How ripe do bananas need to be for banana bread?
You know when bananas become too unappealing to want to eat, but not yet bad enough to be tossed in the trash? These are the bananas you want for banana bread!
When bananas ripen and start to get brown spots on their skin they become softer and sweeter, making them perfect for banana bread.
I use this same method for choosing when to freeze bananas for smoothies as well!
Over-ripe bananas either find their way into banana bread or the freezer for smoothies. Both of which allow for easy breakfast ideas and zero bananas wasted!
How to Freeze Banana Bread:
Bake a couple of loaves of this homemade einkorn banana bread and freeze some for later! Double the amount of yummy goodness for half the effort!
Allow the loaf to cool completely before slicing.
I recommend slicing the loaf and dividing each piece with parchment paper before placing in a freezer bag. This allows for easy removal and you can take out only the amount you need.
Simply take out the desired number of slices, toss them in the toaster oven to thaw, and enjoy!
You can add butter to the warm slices of banana bread, but we simply eat it as-is!
Homemade Einkorn Banana Bread Variations:
- Our favorite way – particularly our toddlers – is by adding chocolate chips. You will have those little hands in your kitchen ready to help with chocolate chip duty!
- Add some cozy fall and winter flavor with cinnamon.
- Like a little crunch or nuttiness to your banana bread? Toss in some chopped pecans or walnuts.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosures here.
- Loaf pan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Medium-sized mixing bowl
- Sifter (or colander)
- Stand mixer with whisk attachment
- Cooling rack
- Very ripe bananas
- Dark brown sugar
- All-purpose flour (I use einkorn)
- Baking soda
- Vanilla extract
Customize the banana bread to your heart’s desire by adding one or any combination of these:
- Chocolate chips
- Chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, etc)
Our family’s favorite variation is simply adding chocolate chips or both chocolate chips and cinnamon!
How to Make Homemade Einkorn Banana Bread
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
Grease an 8.5″x4.5″ loaf pan with coconut oil or butter.
Sift together the dry ingredients – flour, baking soda, salt – into a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
Peel and mash the bananas in the bowl of a stand mixer.
Using a stand mixer, add the dark brown sugar and melted butter to the bananas. Mix together using the whisk attachment.
Add eggs and vanilla, then mix again.
Slowly add 1 cup at a time of the dry ingredients to the mixture.
Toss in any of the optional add-ins and mix once more.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Printable recipe available below!
More Farmhouse Recipes:
Find more homemade recipes here!
I hope your family loves this homemade einkorn banana bread as much as our family! Let us know by tagging us on social media or leaving some much appreciated 5 stars!
Pin it for Later:
Homemade Einkorn Banana Bread
- 4 very ripe bananas
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup butter (melted and cooled)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (I use einkorn)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, etc)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease an 8.5"x4.5" loaf pan with coconut oil or butter.
- Sift together the dry ingredients – flour, baking soda, salt – into a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
- Peel and mash the bananas in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Using a stand mixer, add the dark brown sugar and melted butter to the bananas. Mix together using the whisk attachment.
- Add eggs and vanilla, then mix again.
- Slowly add 1 cup at a time of the dry ingredients to the mixture.
- Toss in any of the optional add-ins and mix once more.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.