Whether you are gluten-free, looking to cut down on carbs, or simply wanting a delicious quiche for breakfast, this recipe for crustless broccoli cheddar quiche is sure to be one the whole family will love!
Breakfast, brunch, afternoon tea – just about any time of day is a good time for this crustless broccoli cheddar quiche.
I love making this quiche for play dates, ladies brunch with the women folk in my family, or pairing it with some fresh fruit for an easy weekday lunch idea.
Packed with fresh broccoli and delicious cheese, this recipe is quick to throw together and a family favorite. This broccoli cheese quiche is a great way to use up some farm fresh eggs all while sneaking in healthy goodies the kids will happily eat!
Cheesy, creamy, and salted to perfection. The kiddos love the cheesy goodness and I love the fact they are eating the broccoli hidden within the cheese.
The best part? By omitting the pie crust, you are able to cut down on both prep time and cooking time, making this the ideal dish for those busy mornings.
All you need is 15 minutes of prep time and then you are free to carry on about your morning or homeschool routine while it bakes in the oven.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, see my disclosure here.
Baking Quiche With a Cast Iron Skillet
It’s no secret that our family loves cooking with cast iron, which is why I use every opportunity I can to make simple one skillet dishes. All this crustless quiche recipe takes is one cast iron skillet from stove top to oven.
We ditched numerous cookware items in our home and replaced them with cast iron for the health and safety of our family. Our preferred choice for cookware is cast iron followed by stainless steel and glass.
Simply think about bakeware and how many of those items contain non-stick coatings that are harmful to your health. You would be shocked to discover just how many items you can replace with a safer choice such as cast iron or glass. You can check out our favorites here.
If you do not have a cast iron skillet, I recommend a glass pie dish for the baking of this quiche.
Why make a crustless quiche?
Omitting the pie crust from the quiche not only drastically cuts down on the time and effort to make a delicious breakfast quiche, but is also a great option for those with gluten sensitivities or those who need a low carb option to traditional quiche such as diabetics.
What pairs well with crustless broccoli cheddar quiche?
Some of our personal favorite pairings with this quiche are fresh fruit, homemade banana bread, or blueberry muffins.
This broccoli cheddar quiche is packed with protein and does well at balancing out the sugars of fruit or baked breakfast goodies.
Tips for Making Crustless Broccoli Cheddar Quiche:
- Use muffin pans to make personal mini crustless broccoli quiche in the form of egg muffins. Perfect for meal prep as it is freezer friendly and easy to warm up for a healthy breakfast on the go.
- We like to add cayenne for a smidge of added warmth and flavor.
- Be sure to use a well seasoned cast iron skillet and take care to butter the inside of the skillet after cooking the broccoli, but before assembling the quiche for the oven.
- Always preheat a cast iron skillet before oiling and placing ingredients inside to ensure a non-stick surface.
- If making ahead or planning to freeze, use a glass pie dish for storage.
- 10.25-inch cast iron skillet or 9-inch pie dish
- Wood spoon
- Large bowl
- Cutting board
- Cheese grater
Eggs – This ones kind of obvious; the main component of a quiche.
Cream – Heavy cream can be substituted with half & half or whole milk. I always recommend raw or low pasteurized and non-homogenized dairy products.
Butter – Can substitute for a healthy oil such as avocado oil or olive oil. I prefer to avoid using cooking spray due to the added ingredients.
Cheese – My personal favorite pairing is raw cheddar cheese with broccoli, but feel free to experiment with other types of cheese.
Broccoli – A head of fresh broccoli or four cups of broccoli florets will work.
Onion – I like to use white onion, but any onion you have on hand will do. Red onion may transfer color onto the egg custard surrounding it.
Garlic – Can use fresh garlic or garlic powder.
Salt – Fine sea salt is perfect for this quiche. I buy this one in bulk – it is our absolute favorite for purity, taste, and natural minerals.
Black pepper – The best way to enjoy black pepper is fresh ground from a pepper mill.
Cayenne – This is optional if you want to add a touch of heat (but really just some subtle warmth) to the quiche.
Full recipe available in recipe card below.
How to Make Crustless Broccoli Cheddar Quiche
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Melt half of the butter in a cast iron skillet over medium-low heat.
Add the onions and saute for a few minutes until soft and translucent.
Add the broccoli and cook until slightly soft, about 4-5 minutes. Set aside the broccoli and onion to grease the skillet or pie dish with the remaining butter before baking.
While the broccoli cooks, shred the cheese and prepare the egg mixture.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the mixture of eggs, cream, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Spread the broccoli and onion across bottom of the prepared skillet.
Sprinkle the cheese across the top of the broccoli.
Lastly, pour egg mixture over the cheese.
Bake for about an hour until the quiche has set, top is golden brown, and a knife inserted into the center of the quiche comes out clean.
Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Store in an airtight container, or cover in a pie dish, and store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat in the oven or toaster oven.
Once the quiche has cooled, wrap tightly in plastic wrap or foil and place in a freezer bag. Freeze for up to one month.
Freeze individual slices for breakfast meal prep. Simply reheat in the toaster oven or oven.
Defrosting and Reheating Crustless Quiche:
Place frozen quiche in the refrigerator to thaw 24 hours before ready to serve. Reheat in oven at 350 degrees until heated through.
More From Scratch Farmhouse Recipes:
Find more homemade recipes here.
If you try this recipe and love it, please let me know by leaving a review below! Or tag me on social media to share your homemade goodness!
Pin it for Later!
Crustless Broccoli Cheddar Quiche
- 10.25" cast iron skillet (or 9" pie dish)
- Wood spoon
- Large bowl
- Cutting board
- Cheese grater
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 medium onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 head broccoli, roughly chopped (about 4 cups)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, optional*
- 1 1/2 cup raw cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Melt half of the butter in a cast iron skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions and saute for a few minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the broccoli and cook until slightly soft, about 4-5 minutes. Set aside the broccoli and onion to grease the skillet or pie dish with the remaining butter before baking.
- While the broccoli cooks, shred the cheese and prepare the egg mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the mixture of eggs, cream, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Spread the broccoli and onion across bottom of the prepared skillet. Sprinkle the cheese across the top and pour the egg mixture over the cheese.
- Bake for about an hour until the quiche has set, top is golden brown, and a knife inserted into the center of the quiche comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.