Knock weeknight dinners out of the park with this easy and delicious taco soup recipe. Kid-approved and ready in 30 minutes!
It’s baseball season which means it’s time to pull out those quick and easy weeknight dinner recipes.
My mother-in-law was the one to introduce me to Santa Fe soup and it has been a staple in our household ever since.
Over the years, we have tweaked the recipe to better suite our family with wholesome ingredients that we tend to have on hand. I grew tired of always having to run to the store for one ingredient we rarely stocked in our pantry for what was supposed to be a convenient dinner option.
This easy taco soup is a family favorite and loved by our previously picky eater! He even asked if I could make him this soup when he was sick so he could “feel all better”.
If that doesn’t say enough, I highly recommend you give this one a try!
Easy and Delicious Taco Soup (aka Santa Fe Soup)
This recipe is very quick to make and can be thrown together in thirty minutes. This taco soup works great for a last minute what-are-we-going-to-eat meal or for a super easy slow cooker meal.
What pairs well with taco soup?
Our all time favorite pairing with this taco soup is cornbread. I also love to slice up some avocado to garnish on top of the soup with cheese or eat on the side with some garlic salt and pepper sprinkled on top.
What kind of toppings are best on taco soup?
Fresh shredded cheese, avocado, cilantro, sour cream, or a splash of squeezed lime juice are all great choices.
Do I have to use dry beans?
Not at all! I made this recipe with canned beans for years before venturing on to dry beans. Simply follow the quick and easy instructions below.
Do I need to drain and rinse canned beans?
It is not necessary to drain the beans, the liquid from the cans can be poured directly into the soup. I choose to swap out the liquid for equal parts broth for the health benefits.
What type of meat is the best to use in taco soup?
We have used beef, chicken, and turkey in this taco soup, but our personal favorite is turkey for this recipe.
Variations for Easy Taco Soup:
- Use dry beans, bone broth, and fresh produce for a healthy and delicious from scratch meal.
- Brown the meat in a cast iron skillet. Then toss everything into a slow cooker to have dinner ready when you get home.
- In a Dutch oven or large soup pot, brown the meat and use canned beans to have a tasty dinner ready in half an hour.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosures here.
- Dutch oven or large soup pot
- Cutting board
- Can opener
- Measuring spoons
- Avocado or olive oil
- Ground meat (turkey, beef, or chicken)
- Pinto beans
- Black beans
- Diced and fire roasted tomatoes
- Taco seasoning
How to Make Taco Soup:
Heat the oil in a cast iron Dutch oven or large soup pot over medium heat.
Brown the ground meat and drain if needed. You can choose to throw in some diced onion and garlic as well.
Add in the beans, tomatoes, corn, broth, and taco seasoning. Reduce heat to low after soup begins to boil. Simmer for at least 15 minutes.
While simmering, chop cilantro and add to the soup.
Garnish with cheese or sliced avocado if desired. Serve with some cornbread and enjoy!
More Farmhouse Recipes:
I hope your family loves this easy taco soup as much as our family! Let us know by tagging us on social media or leaving a comment below!
Pin it for Later!
Easy Taco Soup
- 2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1 lb ground meat (turkey, beef, or chicken)
- 15 oz can pinto beans (drained)
- 15 oz can black beans (drained)
- 15 oz can corn (drained)
- 14.5 oz can diced and fire roasted tomatoes (or Rotel)
- 2 cups broth (bone or chicken)
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- Heat the oil in a cast iron Dutch oven or large soup pot over medium heat.
- Brown the ground meat and drain if needed. You can choose to throw in some diced onion and garlic as well.
- Add in the beans, tomatoes, corn, broth, and taco seasoning. Reduce heat to low after soup begins to boil. Simmer for at least 15 minutes.
- While simmering, chop cilantro and add to the soup.
- Garnish with cheese or sliced avocado if desired. Serve with some cornbread and enjoy!